LSST@Europe4 follows the very successful LSST@Europe1 (Cambridge), 2 (Belgrade), and 3 (Lyon) workshops organized in 2013, 2016, and 2018 to foster European participation in the Rubin Observatory Legacy Survey of Space and Time, as well as the analogous LSST@ASIA organized in 2019 by and for the Asian, Australian and African communities.
The Rubin Observatory project is moving forward in the construction phase, and activities in the Rubin Observatory LSST Science Collaborations are vibrant and involve significant European participation. The recent adoption of “in-kind” contributions to regulate the access of International participants to LSST data clearly represents a major paradigm shift for the participation of the European astronomical community, with existing agreements that need to be re-negotiated by mid-2021.
The Rubin Observatory LSST@Europe4 conference provides the community with a timely opportunity to discuss proposals and plans. In this framework, the main objectives of Rubin Observatory LSST@Europe4 are to:
- Provide an update on the status of the Rubin Observatory
- Foster and promote the participation of European scientists in the activities of the Science Collaborations
- Discuss opportunities and proposals to help European participants shape the “in-kind” contributions to the development of the Rubin Observatory project
- Discuss potential common initiatives at the European level to support the participation of European scientists in the survey
- Provide an updated description of the LSST data products
- Discuss the survey science drivers: current perspectives and future developments
- Explore synergies with other facilities, with a special emphasis on the European ones
- Date: October 24-28, 2022
- Location: Rome, Italy
LSSTC Support: $10,000